Monday, March 31, 2008

Awakening

I have been feeling a connection to nature for a while...a connection that I don't really understand with my logical mind but a connection that I sense with my being. I feel the connection when I am gardening, walking in the woods, sitting among the trees or spending time with my dog. I feel a peace, a happiness a calming of spirit and a hush of the ever present thoughts. This feeling I have discovered can come into the rest of my life when I remain present and focused.

This poem really moved me:

“Lost” by David Wagner:
Stand still. The trees ahead and bushes beside you
Are not lost. Wherever you are is called Here,
And you must treat it as a powerful stranger,
Must ask permission to know it and be known.
The forest breathes. Listen. It answers,
I have made this place around you.
If you leave it, you may come back again, saying, Here.
No two trees are the same to Raven.
No two branches are the same to Wren.
If what a tree or a bush does is lost on you,
You are surely lost. Stand still.
The forest knows where you are.