Friday, October 19, 2007

Missing Pieces

I know two families that have been touched with autism but I don't understand much about the disease. In the last couple of months I have been thinking more about it and how it must be for a parent to have a child that cannot communicate. I have heard parents speak about it saying they know their son is in his body but they don't know how to get him out. The child is trapped. Unbelievable and heart breaking. Today I received a video clip from one of my friends that has an autistic son. The video moved me to tears and woke me up. Approximately 1 in every 150 kids has this and the numbers have been growing. Wow....I plan to learn more so that I can understand better and I plan to contribute to the cause. I started today by making a contribution and I have joined a group that will keep me up to speed on what is going on with the disease.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhScvPYXunc&eurl=http://widget-13.slide.com/widgets/sf.swf

Rate of Autism
Twenty years ago... 1 in 10 000
Five years ago... 1 in 500
Today.... 1 in 150
Twenty years from now...... Scared yet?!?!?!